The Safe Sleeping Village (SSV) at 730 Stanyan, named CAMP (Community Action Made for People) is seeking full-time CAMP Site Monitors for day, swing and night shifts. These are temporary positions that will last the duration of the Shelter in Place order in San Francisco due to COVID-19, anticipated to be between 2-6 months, subject to change.
Homeless Youth Alliance is seeking individuals who will prioritize treating residents of CAMP with dignity, respect and use a harm reduction framework to maintain the safety guidelines of the space. CAMP Counselors will be responsible for the logistical operations of CAMP, providing support and appropriate referrals to other HYA staff and programs, ensuring the safety of the space and adherence to public health guidelines under the COVID19 shelter in place order. CAMP Counselors will work in collaboration with CAMP Greeters and any other HYA staff or volunteers.
People with experience in non-confrontational de-escalation and knowledge of whole-person care models of service delivery are strongly encouraged to apply. It is essential that CAMP Counselors maintain HYA’s ethics of non-judgment, respect and honoring the autonomy and self-reliance of all residents.
ESSENTIAL JOB FUNCTIONS:
• Ensure smooth operation of CAMP logistics including sanitation stations, resident sleeping and storage areas, meals, supply
distribution and activities.
• Support residents to create strong community, including encouraging and supporting the establishment of agreements amongst
residents and problem solving within community
• Refer CAMP residents to appropriate HYA staff for medical, mental health or case management services when appropriate.
• Mediate conflict between residents when asked, or appropriate.
• Ensure and maintain cleanliness of facilities and overall site.
• Ensure public health COVID19 precautions are adhered to properly.
• Attend team meetings as required.
• Maintain confidentiality, appropriate boundaries, good self-care and a sense of humor.
• Personal experience with homelessness or extensive knowledge of issues facing people experiencing homelessness.
• Conflict resolution and non-confrontational de-escalation skills
• Knowledge of or experience with person-centered care models
• Must be streetwise and be able to solve practical problems.
• Must have excellent communication and listening skills.
• Must maintain strong confidentiality and appropriate boundaries.
• Must be sensitive to multicultural issues of race, ethnicity, gender identity and expression and sexuality.
• Must be able to work in a stressful, fast-paced environment as part of a team.
Must be able to stand for a minimum of 2 hours at a time. Must be able to lift and carry 30 lbs. Must be able to be outdoors for up to 8
hours, even in inclement weather. Must be comfortable with animals, including dogs and cats.
3 shifts: day/swing/night
Pay is $20-24/hour depending on experience and budget approval
Homeless Youth Alliance is an equal opportunity employer
Instructions for applying:
We are accepting completed applications (resume w/ 3 references, answers to the below questions).
We are hiring NOW so please do not wait to apply. Incomplete or late resumes will not be considered. You must be available to come to our office for an interview.
Please respond to the following 6 questions (applicants whom do not respond to the question will not be considered):
1) What interests you in working for Homeless Youth Alliance and specifically for the CAMP Project?
2) Do you have a personal connection to our mission?
3) What qualities do you see as important to work with people experiencing homelessness?
4) What are your feelings about drugs and alcohol and working with active often chaotic users?
5) What types of people do you work best with? What types of people present you with the biggest challenge?
6) What skills do you have that help you handle or mediate conflict?
Return application to: firstname.lastname@example.org with “CAMP Counselor” in the subject line. HYA will only be responding to
resumes submitted via email. Do not call us please.