COMPENSATION: $27.88- $28.84/hr DOE
REPORTS TO: Accounting Manager
WORK SCHEDULE: Monday – Friday, 8:00 am to 5:00 pm
STATUS & CLASSIFICATION: Full-time, Non-exempt
About Hamilton Families
Our mission is to end family homelessness in the San Francisco Bay Area. Established in 1985, Hamilton Families is San Francisco's leading service provider to homeless families, with carefully designed programs to prevent homelessness, provide shelter and stability, return families to permanent housing and support the well-being of children experiencing homelessness. We currently operate these programs across six sites in San Francisco and Oakland. For more information, visit www.hamiltonfamilies.org.
The Staff Accountant- Payroll & A/P is responsible for processing disbursements of operating expenses. The Staff Accountant is also responsible for maintaining the payroll system, processing bi-weekly payrolls, and performing other payroll related duties.
Primary Duties and Responsibilities
• Process and transmit payroll biweekly; process mid-cycle payroll adjustments, holiday, wellness and referral bonuses, and final paychecks. Produce routine and specialized payroll reports as requested.
• Process and transmit employee and employer contributions to retirement plan provider biweekly.
• Prepare workers’ compensation monthly invoice calculations and employee union dues
• Match, code, and enter invoices into accounts payable system. Prepare batch reports and review for errors prior to submitting to supervisor
• Ensure that all invoices have proper supportive backup documents as required by internal fiscal policies and procedures.
• Responsible for matching general ledger account, program code, funding source, and department code in general ledger.
• Process payments, maintain statements, conduct weekly check runs to ensure timely and accurate payments and prepare checks for signature.
• Audit and process credit card statements and employee expense reimbursements.
• Communicate with vendors regarding account issues, research unpaid invoices, and resolve and investigate invoice disputes/discrepancies.
• Communicate with program directors and staff who handle purchases to request vendor invoices, packing slips, and other related supporting document.
• Maintain several petty cash disbursements and perform reconciliations and audit.
• Responsible for ongoing knowledge and understanding of agency wide budget and cost allocation plan.
• Ensure fiscal adherence to contracts and grants
• Maintain accounts payable files and records.
• Maintain 1099 files and year-end 1099 form preparation.
• Prepare journal entries and assist in month end closing
• Prepare weekly/monthly accounts payable reports.
• Manage petty cash for the Administrative office.
• Assist with other projects as needed.
Qualifications, Skills and Abilities
• Bachelor’s Degree in accounting, business administration, or related field and/or minimum two years’ experience in accounting/and or finance preferably in the non-profit sector.
• Experience in payroll software preferably in ADP.
• Experience in processing credit card expense report software
• Solid written and verbal communication skills.
• Ability to pay attention to detail and maintain confidentiality
• Strong interpersonal skills and commitment to work with a diverse staff are essential to perform the position duties.
• Proficient in Microsoft Office (Word, Outlook, Excel, etc.).
• Essential functions of the position may require use of a telephone, working at a standard computer terminal.
• The ability to follow reasonable ergonomic recommendations, sit for long periods, stand, reach, bend, lift and carry up to 20 pounds.
• Criminal background check, fingerprint imaging, and tuberculosis (TB) clearance required post-offer.
Compensation and Benefits
Great benefits: Hamilton Families (HF) offers excellent medical, dental, and vision coverage, plus tax-advantaged Flexible Spending Arrangements for Health Care and Dependent Care. Employees also have the chance to earn up to $180 per calendar year for participating in various wellness activities and can participate in partnership discounts with various YMCA and 24-Hour Fitness locations. Additionally, HF offers tax-deductible commuter benefits that can be applied to public transit, parking, and ride sharing services like Lyft Line and Uber pool.
Growth and leadership opportunities: The work at HF is designed for individuals to follow their passions and commitment to community. HF takes professional development seriously and offers coaching and training opportunities at every level. A role with the Stability team is great for an individual who is interested in exploring community based nonprofit work, social work, or mental health disciplines. We also offer a $1,000 tuition reimbursement to employees each year (after 12 months of employment) and offer dozens of internal and external trainings for staff at every level annually.
Time off: HF employees enjoy generous benefits including 11 paid holidays, 3 weeks of vacation and 2 weeks of sick time per year.
Long-term benefits: HF offers an employer-matched 403(b) retirement plan, tuition reimbursement, and other great long-term benefits!
• Apply at
• Please attach your résumé and a brief letter of interest.
• No faxes or phone calls.
• Hamilton Families is an Equal Opportunity Employer. Pursuant to the San Francisco Fair Chance Ordinance., we will consider for employment qualified applicants who arrest and conviction records.