PROGRAM: Hamilton Shelter Program
REPORTS TO: Operations Manager
WORK SCHEDULE: Monday, Wednesday and Friday 8:00 AM – 4:30 PM, Tuesday and Saturday 10:00 AM – 6:30 PM
STATUS: Full-time; Temporary (30 days with the possibility of an extension; up to 6 months)
UNION REPRESENTATION: No
DRIVING REQUIRED: Yes- Valid CADL and satisfactory driving record required
About Hamilton Families
Our mission is to end family homelessness in the San Francisco Bay Area. Established in 1985, Hamilton Families is San Francisco's leading service provider to homeless families, with strategically designed programs to prevent homelessness, provide shelter and stability, return families to permanent housing, and support the well-being of children experiencing homelessness. We currently operate these programs across six sites in San Francisco and Oakland. For more information, visit www.hamiltonfamilies.org.
Program and Position Overview
The Maintenance Technician performs a variety of semi-skilled preventative building, equipment and vehicle maintenance and repairs at the Hamilton Shelter Program to ensure safe and proper functioning, proactively monitors, anticipates, plans for and advises supervisors and program managers of maintenance needs.
Primary Duties and Responsibilities
• Monitor equipment and structures, and perform routine and emergency repairs as needed, including repairing doors and doorways, windows, locks, fencing, partitions, shelves, counters and furniture, and plumbing fixtures
• Replace fuses, ballasts, sockets, cords and switches
• Prepare vacant units for new residents, including but not limited to floor maintenance, painting, light wall and door repairs, unclogging of pipes, removal of debris, room and furniture set up, etc.
• Assess and advise program managers of cost of damage to residential units when families exit transitional housing or shelter rooms;
• Substitute for absent custodial staff as assigned; sweep, mop, vacuum and wash building interiors and exteriors according to routine janitorial schedule, including hallways, stairways, bathrooms, offices, common areas, kitchens and dining areas, courtyard and parking areas, and areas immediately in front of and behind buildings; remove garbage and recycling, bring bins to curb and/or return bins to appropriate area according to schedule
• Assist with special preparations for site inspections and tours
• Operate agency and/or rental vehicles to pick up or deliver furniture, equipment or supplies; set up furniture for special events
• Monitor elevators, emergency lighting, fire and security alarms, and fire extinguishers to ensure proper and safe functioning; coordinate, perform and/or order maintenance and repairs to these systems as needed
• Alert program managers of safety concerns; participate in reviewing and developing safety programs and procedures for safe storage and use of tools and supplies
• Use equipment, supplies and tools according to established safety guidelines and procedures
• Ensure that storage areas are safe, secure and orderly, and that tools and supplies are stored safely and securely
• Maintain vigilance against pests and order pest control services as needed
• Adhere to HFC mission and core values; interact respectfully while maintaining appropriate boundaries with diverse staff and families and individuals experiencing homelessness
• Complete maintenance, inspection, and inventory reports as directed
• Attend and participate in trainings, meetings and committees as assigned
• Other duties as assigned
Qualifications, Skills and Abilities
• High school diploma or GED equivalent required
• One year’s general experience in construction, building and maintenance trades performing building maintenance duties similar to those listed above
• Strong written and oral communication skills; able to use Microsoft Office and Adobe applications (e.g., Outlook, Word, Excel, PowerPoint, Acrobat, etc.)
• Self-directed; able to demonstrate initiative and to work successfully as a project leader or team member; able to effectively organize and prioritize tasks to meet deadlines, work independently and handle multiple tasks simultaneously while maintaining composure under pressure
• Sensitive to the needs of families experiencing homelessness; able and willing to work with diverse staff and program participants
• Essential functions of the position may require use of a telephone, working at a standard computer terminal, and the ability to follow reasonable ergonomic recommendations, sit, kneel, stand, drive, or walk for long periods, reach, bend, lift, carry up to 40 pounds, and ability to climb stairs and ladders as needed
• Criminal background check, fingerprint imaging, and tuberculosis (TB) clearance required post-offer
• Valid CADL and DMV report; able and willing to travel up to 50% of the time, as required - personal form of transportation is not required.
Compensation and Benefits
Hamilton Families offers excellent medical, dental, and vision coverage, plus tax-advantaged Flexible Spending Arrangements for Health Care and Dependent Care. Employees also have the chance to earn up to $180 per calendar year for participating in various wellness activities and can participate in partnership discounts with various YMCA and 24 Hour Fitness locations. Additionally, HF offers tax deductible commuter benefits that can be applied to public transit, parking, bicycle maintenance, and ride sharing services like Lyft line and Uber pool.
The work at HF is designed for individuals to follow their passions and commitment to community. HF takes professional development seriously and offers coaching and training opportunities at every level. We also offer a $1,000 tuition reimbursement to employees each year (after 12 months of employment) and offer dozens of internal and external trainings for staff at every level annually.
HF employees take advantage of generous sick and vacation benefits including 11 paid holidays, 3 weeks of vacation and 2 weeks of sick time per year.
HF offers an employer-matched 403(b) retirement plan, education reimbursement, and other great long-term benefits!
• Apply at https://workforcenow.adp.com/mascsr/default/mdf/recruitment/recruitment.html?ccId=19000101_000001&cid=5b799059-d877-41e9-8e9c-e28ff45e48bf&jobId=173160&lang=en_US&source=CC4
• Please attach your resume and cover letter (applications without both documents will not be considered).
• No faxes or phone calls.
• Hamilton Families is an Equal Opportunity Employer. Pursuant to the San Francisco Fair Chance Ordinance, we will consider for employment qualified applicants with arrest and conviction records.